Seattle’s wet and cold season is soon ending and days are now getting sunnier and longer. Before you know it, school will be out for the summer! This means kids will have more free time to play outside, go camping, and have lots of sleepovers with friends. Great news, right? Not so fast, because there is still one serious concern that keeps parents up at night: head lice! Even though head lice are not seasonal, the technicians at The Lice Clinic in Seattle always notice an increase in the number of head lice cases during the warmer months of spring and summer.
According to the American Camp Association, head lice is the most common health issue at camps. This includes both summer camps and day camps. Many camps have “no-nit” policies, which means kids with lice or nits won’t be allowed to attend their camp. Often, they will pre-screen your child’s head before being admitted to their camp. Some will also perform routine checks throughout your child’s stay. If you get a call from your child’s camp informing you that your child has lice, don’t feel like you're a bad parent and, most importantly, don’t make the child feel guilty for getting lice; they already will feel sad for missing fun at the summer camp, that is why the most important thing is to take care of the infestation quickly!
The Lice Clinic is pleased to partner with local schools and summer camps to offer them a worry-free summer camp experience through head checks, chemical-free treatments, education, and prevention tips. By working with TLC, school administrators and camp counselors can be sure that lice will not be a problem at their organizations.
Tips for Parents for Lice-free Summer Camps
- Be on the lookout for unusual symptoms coming from your child such as frequent head scratching, or complaints of the scalp being itchy.
- This point is important! If you do detect lice on your child before they attend camp, DO NOT use over-the-counter shampoos or pesticides. These chemical shampoos are NOT effective because the lice are resistant to these products. They are toxic to the environment and often cause skin irritations. These shampoos are also expensive and require several rounds of re-treatment which will NOT kill the lice and their nits.
- Bring your child to our TLC location for a head check before they attend camp. Head checks are quick and painless and you will have the peace of mind that your child will not be rejected from admittance to camp.
- Can’t leave the house or don’t want to? No problem! One of TLC’s experienced technicians will come to YOU and preform head checks and treatment in the privacy of your home.
- The best way to rid your family of head lice is to have a professional technician from The Lice Clinic perform a detailed lice removal treatment. The treatments are chemical-free and environmentally friendly; they are better for your child and for the planet. TLC’s lice removal method is so effective that your child can attend summer camp immediately after treatment!